OK… So now you’ve booked your daughters senior session with Kathryn Rose Images! Woo-Hoo! That first step was easy.
Now your beautiful daughter is trying to convince you it’s time for a full on shopping spree! Hold it right there!! Together, browse through your daughters’ closet and find what you love and looks best on her. Next, ask her what she loves, and to pull it out. Together, you both have selected two outfits. Most of the time…ok, all the time, mother and daughter’s agree on the fashion. I have yet to come across anything different, but there is always a first. (keeping my fingers crossed) When we talk about fashion, I always suggest dressing in layers. Dressing in layers makes your images that much stronger in texture and colors. Not to mention, my lovely subjects look complete and polished.
Below you’ll find a few simple examples I found on Pinterest. You’ll see how adding a scarf, cardigan, or jean jacket can be simple ways to add creative textures and color to her outfit choices. And for the young girls who don’t care about fabric layers, I would suggest accessories. Keep in mind, only add accessories, if they are truly your daughters style and she honestly wears them in her everyday life. After all we want her portraits to be be authentic and shout…Simply Her!
As you see from the example above, I used my Mallory’s, everyday fashion to serve as a suggestion. Let’s break it down a bit.
Here are 5 Simple steps to perfect layers from Lauren Conrad’s Blog.
- Start with a basic, lightweight top. I suggest a solid, something neutral, or striped.
- Add another layer such as a soft cardigan or sweater. If you’re into color, this can be a great opportunity to mix in a bold pullover to give your outfit more intrigue and depth.
- Then add a jacket or coat. Again, I suggest a basic color: camel, black, navy, or even olive green.
- Next, add a scarf. It’s like the frosting on a cupcake. A must!
- Sprinkle on your accessories (bracelets, rings, watches).
So…before you hit the stores, look in your daughters closet first! Chances are, she already has a look that’s all her own hanging in her closet!
All for now!